O-ring Warriors Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Looking for Convention Troops (Update 2018)
by The Doc Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:01 am

» **WARNING!!** Nova
by LIVEVIL Sun May 13, 2018 7:38 pm

» Current casts available for sale
by forcefull1 Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:24 pm

» About the O-ring Warriors Nation (O.W.N.)
by Rambo Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:27 pm

» THE list of ALL non-production ARAH-style body parts
by forcefull1 Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:57 pm

» Unmasked Jinx head
by forcefull1 Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:03 am

» Interest in cast heads?
by Rambo Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:02 am

» P:ARAH Predator heads: Poncho, Dillon, Hawkins
by Rambo Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:00 am

» Future head commission ideas
by LIVEVIL Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:14 pm

Proposed poll to relocate OWN

+6
ucsf
the right of might
kramer70
cyko
KREXX
CoolBreeze
10 posters

Go down

Should the OWN community/site be moved from free hosting to regular hosting with a unique .com domain?

Proposed poll to relocate OWN I_vote_lcap14%Proposed poll to relocate OWN I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
Proposed poll to relocate OWN I_vote_lcap86%Proposed poll to relocate OWN I_vote_rcap 86% 
[ 6 ]
Proposed poll to relocate OWN I_vote_lcap0%Proposed poll to relocate OWN I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Proposed poll to relocate OWN Empty Proposed poll to relocate OWN

Post by CoolBreeze Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Having read and heard enough from a handful of people here it seems like you want to have a "home" for ARAH O-Ring collectors/customizers.

A couple of users offered to cast parts. Money and parts were sent, never to be seen again.

That left the site, its owners and everyone who wanted new parts feeling in a bad way and mistrustful of any new ideas/offers.

A poll was started for more new parts and from the little I have read, we're now at the business end of the venture. The person that commissioned the parts is about to revive them and people are hoping for a happy outcome.

From what I can tell, the people involved in getting this venture off the ground all sound like great people that are passionate, welcoming and wanting to be proactive.

However, from what I see, OWN as a community will never regain the trust it needs to get any decent financial backing without steps being taken.

Moving OWN from a free hosting site to the regular paid hosted site. As close to a virtual brick and mortar store as you can get on the Internet.

Why? Because OWN in its current form can be taken down tomorrow, with all information lost.

Why? Because the same free hosting arrangement means the average Joe can't afford to trust anyone (regardless of how nice they are) because it can all be closed down tomorrow.

Why? Even if that didn't happen, OWN will never get the kudos/credibility it needs by being part of a free hosting network. It's too easy for rivals to set up their own "OWN" using the same free hosting services, or becoming a serious rival, buying a .com and hosting it the old fashioned way. That will start to make people feel it's worth investing in the community. Both with their time and perhaps their money too.

Why? Because the pros outweigh the cons. Things can only get better if you do it right.

I would invite the admins, founding members and community as a whole to discuss and vote.

CoolBreeze

Back to top Go down

Proposed poll to relocate OWN Empty Re: Proposed poll to relocate OWN

Post by KREXX Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:29 am

No need , I have a new facebook group. Most likely all the action will happen there from now on.

KREXX

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:07 pm

I don't know if OWN as a community-focused website needs to move or close, I just think we need to shift away from parts production and finances and leave the business to people who specialize in it (like Krexx). We can still share our customs and discuss our ideas here, just probably not swap money for promises.
cyko
cyko
Admin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43512778@N07

Back to top Go down

Post by kramer70 Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:46 pm

I agree with cyko. We still need to show off customs and talk gi joe , and no offense to Krexx but I don't want "all the action " to be on his facebook page.
kramer70
kramer70

Back to top Go down

Post by ucsf Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:36 pm

The least thing we need is to get in a very fragmented base. We need a basic forum or website, and this current version is just fine by me.

No matter what, any hosting site can take down even a paid webpage if it's violating their known or unknown rules. These free forums are created because the owners want more people who will pay for full features and a customizable frontend.

If KREXX want his stuff on his FB page, that's totally fine, but there needs to be a normal forum to discuss and show what we can do together.

It's in an early stage, but it's typically a question that needs an answer later. We need to establish OWN, by staying strong together and getting more people here. The name and forum won't alienate most users just because one hiccup happened...

ucsf

Back to top Go down

Post by copperbob Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:19 pm

Well for me it comes down to what people want. I joined this site because of the premise that every few months there would be a poll to vote on new commissioned parts.

The first wave of the IG sniper head and blank female torso were done and since then there has been nothing for almost 2 years. I understand the lack of trust over the whole Veteran failure and someone needs to take blame for the membership to begin to trust again.

I became fustrated over the lack of direction from this site and took it on my own to contact Krexx, start a poll for the membership to vote on and then pay for a commission head torso and waist without a penny of donations from the members. Once this commission is finished which should be in the next couple of weeks castings of these parts will be available to all at the casting price from Krexx.

It did bother me when some members stated I must EARN THEIR TRUST when I have done nothing but try and further this site by getting new O-Ring style parts made which they are.

I also did a personal commission from Krexx for the Image style Storm Shadow which can now be seen and plan on a Khaki shirt Kwinn next month which I paying for next week.

Except for a few members all I have heard is how they dont have any money to donate towards these commissions yet have money to buy the castings if they are made. It seems to me the majority of the members on OWN  expect a few members to support the everyone when it comes to donating towards new parts.

I have made a few wonderful friends on this site who are as dedicated to new parts as I am. These are the people who will  grow the hobby not the cheap members who want someone else to support the hobby for them.

I have shown Im a person of my word and spent the money to prove it without a penny from anyone but I have my limits too.I can afford to commission parts in the future on my own but this means I will also not share these parts to the OWN members unless they also show their dedication.

Cyko, Hobgoblin and a few others have been great and these are the members I will work with in the future or will allow to purchase castings of my personal commissions since they have shown me there dedication by already offering to donate towards future projects.

Im sorry if this post may offend some of the members but I also feel the members who are offended are also the same ones who expect the few to pay for them getting new O-Ring parts.

I told Rambo I will keep my word on the Cobra Sniper but will not release anything else I have commissioned until the OWN MEMBERS NOW EARN MY TRUST by commissioning some new parts as a community. If not Ill just continue to work on my own with Krexx and get what I want made for my personal collection.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Robert B

copperbob

Back to top Go down

Post by ucsf Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:33 pm

I think this post points at me mostly. Well, if you don't like how stuff's going on, I can't say anything else at the moment. After a month of what happened with veteran, you are trying to push things harder than you should, forum-wise. It's totally your responsibility of what and when do you make a comission to KREXX or other people, but it's harsh that now you are pointing fingers to others who did nothing wrong to you except they are not going to vote with their wallet at the moment.

If you don't want to show other works, that's also fine. Your money, you do as you'd like. But please stop this utter madness. Nobody hurt you if I remember correctly, but you're blaming many of us now, when you stated that the first order's gonna weigh on your own shoulders. The Sniper is not ready to order at the moment, so why the rush?

Try to keep calm and wait the reactions of how much of the Sniper's gonna sell. Okay?

ucsf

Back to top Go down

Post by the right of might Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:17 pm

I voted no but I may be persuaded.   The paid site may be a good idea if the right content is provided.  

Whatever is decided, if we go to facebook, I cannot follow since I do not do facebook.  (Neither does Livevil!)

No problem with donating financially, just waiting to see something I am interested in.

Keep up the good work, I love coming to this site!
the right of might
the right of might

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:08 pm

My vote is NO.
OWN was created by and for the ARAH O-ring customizers.

I don't see why we need to move to a paid site. We even have a facebook page.

What we need is to keep united and strong.
Create more customs and share them.
Rambo
Rambo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by copperbob Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:38 pm

If that is how you feel keep your money USCF i dont need or want it. You said you want to make the site stronger and attract new members yet how do you plan on doing that when all you do is get upset with someone who actually is doing something.
If your worried about your wallet dont buy any sniper castings I dont care Im not making a penny on them I did the commission to help try and get things started towards new parts and all you want to do is sit on your hands and bad mouth what others are trying to do and further this site. A
All Im saying is why should I pay the full commission price by myself and let you just pay the price of a casting. Im sure you think that is fair but I dont and other members feel the same about donating while other members cry about not having any money to donate but have the money to buy the castings.
If you feel like Im doing things wrong then what are you suggestions besides let just do nothing and get new members without anything to draw those new members in.

copperbob

Back to top Go down

Post by kramer70 Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:49 pm

No need for arguments gentleman . After all we are all on the same side. Copper bob and ucsf both have points I agree with. I agree with copper bob in helping to get things started we should invest. In saying that I understand ucsf point as well . The only reason i am hesitant to invest is because of my pure lack of interest in creating " normal" o ring customs. As many of you know I like to create movie characters and creatures .not of the Joe world. Although I love krexx's work and other customs, my genre is different than most customizers. I most likely will not buy any of the sculpts because I have no interest. I doubt anytime soon ppl are going to vote on a hannible lector figure or Kane from poLtergeist movies in arah form.
But in saying that I do believe the importance of continuing the o ring style . So I will support the groups wishes , however it will be difficult for me to invest a lot until I see finished products . I still think we need to expand to toy shows and conventions with merchandise and our logo plastered all over everything.
kramer70
kramer70

Back to top Go down

Post by ucsf Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:41 am

copperbob wrote:If that is how you feel keep your money USCF i dont need or want it. You said you want to make the site stronger and attract new members yet how do you plan on doing that when all you do is get upset with someone who actually is doing something.
    If your worried about your wallet dont buy any sniper castings I dont care Im not making a penny on them I did the commission to help try and get things started towards new parts and all you want to do is sit on your hands and bad mouth what others are trying to do and further this site. A
    All Im saying is why should I pay the full commission price by myself and let you just pay the price of a casting. Im sure you think that is fair but I dont and other members feel the same about donating while other members cry about not having any money to donate but have the money to buy the castings.
    If you feel like Im doing things wrong then what are you suggestions besides let just do nothing and get new members without anything to draw those new members in.

That was the behaviour I was expecting from you. If you read back, you'll see that I already donated to projects even before they were created. And I will do the same, if we do another comission like the IG Sniper head. That was cool. But, it was you who stepped out to the light and said, you have the money, you will do the first steps. Who asked this before your statement? It's cool, that you have that much money, and you have the ability to work with a great sculptor. Who questioned your moves? No one!

But you're not more than any other fan or customizer here, and this is what pisses me. You're acting like a saviour who was tossed by tomatoes by other members. It's not true and stop this now.

TL;DR

Again, I'll gladly help if there will be another project that needs members to put the price together. I don't have that much money to get to someone alone, so yeah in your eyes, I'm a cheap ass collector. Well, I don't care. You have the money, it's good for you and you can enjoy all the parts and fun stuff. If you don't want to share your parts, that's also fine, but don't come with this elitist BS you're in now.

Yeah well since I'm not going to get this to a flame war, this is my last post in this argument.

ucsf

Back to top Go down

Post by copperbob Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:31 pm

Well USCG since you seem to know everything and have all answer Ill leave this site in your able hands I will give all the members the chance to buy the sniper parts like I promised. Like you said Ill just go and let you and all the members you speak for make OWN grow and commission new parts I will visit the site from time to time but not help since you dont need it in any way and since you know what is best for OWN which in your opion doesnt include me Enjoy the site.

copperbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwinn_Lives Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:22 am

I think we need to take a breath here. I can understand why some people are hesitant, given the drama they've been through in the fairly recent past. But we don't need to be jumping on each other.
Kwinn_Lives
Kwinn_Lives

Back to top Go down

Post by copperbob Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Well Kwinn like I said Ill keep my word and once the cobra sniper is scheduled to be finished by Krexx in the next week. After it is done krexx will cast the parts and put them up for sale to anyone interested at the cost for Krexx to cast the parts. Im not making one single penny on this. My gift to the site from the money I saved by quiting smoking.
What happens to OWN in the future is up to the members Ill step back and see what others on this site do to try and make OWN a bigger and better site instead of just a smaller version of Joecustoms

copperbob

Back to top Go down

Post by LIVEVIL Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Gentlemen, this bickering is counterproductive and pointless and we are missing the point of what is we are trying to do here at OWN...

I like to think everyone here at OWN share many of the same wants and goals and one of them is to get new ARAH parts made and available to everyone for purchase to use for customs. This should strengthen us as a group, not split us apart.
What copperbob has done is exactly what I would do if I was in his position to do and that is commission for some new parts to be made out of my own pocket without asking for or taking anyone else's money. I for one admire and applaud his initiative to do so and hope to do the same in the future as I too want to get new parts made for everyone to have access to for making customs. I hope his actions will encourage others to come forward and do the same if they wish. I know people are still feeling the burn from what happened with veteran and the wounds from Slayer will probably never heal but we can't let the past continue to hold us back from the future. It is our participation that will help this group grow and we all need to do more and that means ALL members, myself included. We are a small group and we need to look out for each other and our best interests because no one else will. So let's all get back to what is is we do here at OWN, making ARAH customs, posting them, commenting on them, supporting the site and each other's efforts...
LIVEVIL
LIVEVIL

http://www.joecustoms.com/userops/profile.php?uid=12

Back to top Go down

Post by copperbob Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:39 pm

Thanks LiveEvil For the support

copperbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Thank you LIVEVIL for your support.

Robert, you don't need to leave. I would hate to loose our first "mecenas".

Who want to share a custom? No prize for the first 10 customs.
Rambo
Rambo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwinn_Lives Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:41 pm

Rambo wrote:Who want to share a custom? No prize for the first 10 customs.
I was going to, but then my camera completely crapped out on me. I think it's dead-dead. So no pics from me until I can scrounge up a new one. Mad
Kwinn_Lives
Kwinn_Lives

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:41 am

Kwinn_Lives wrote:
Rambo wrote:Who want to share a custom? No prize for the first 10 customs.
I was going to, but then my camera completely crapped out on me. I think it's dead-dead. So no pics from me until I can scrounge up a new one. Mad

What about a phone camera?
Rambo
Rambo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwinn_Lives Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:25 am

Rambo wrote:What about a phone camera?
Quality is just not good enough. I'm currently scouring online looking for a decent used camera.
Kwinn_Lives
Kwinn_Lives

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwinn_Lives Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:29 am

Good news is that I discovered a folder on my computer with some pics I took a couple of months ago. I thought I must have deleted them, but there they are. Most are pretty crappy, I didn't do a good job taking the pics, but there are some I can post. I'll put some up in my customs thread.
Kwinn_Lives
Kwinn_Lives

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:43 am

I'm checking now!
Rambo
Rambo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content