O-ring Warriors Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Looking for Convention Troops (Update 2018)
by The Doc Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:01 am

» **WARNING!!** Nova
by LIVEVIL Sun May 13, 2018 7:38 pm

» Current casts available for sale
by forcefull1 Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:24 pm

» About the O-ring Warriors Nation (O.W.N.)
by Rambo Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:27 pm

» THE list of ALL non-production ARAH-style body parts
by forcefull1 Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:57 pm

» Unmasked Jinx head
by forcefull1 Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:03 am

» Interest in cast heads?
by Rambo Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:02 am

» P:ARAH Predator heads: Poncho, Dillon, Hawkins
by Rambo Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:00 am

» Future head commission ideas
by LIVEVIL Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:14 pm

Similar topics

Rise of Cobra/PoC/30th Character Updates

+3
Rambo
kramer70
cyko
7 posters

Go down

cobra - Rise of Cobra/PoC/30th Character Updates Empty Rise of Cobra/PoC/30th Character Updates

Post by cyko Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:43 am

I'll admit, when Hasbro gets on a roll with new figures, I get interested. Especially if they're new characters. While not at the top of my customizing list, here are some interesting figures that I'd like to rework in the O-ring style:

• Shadow Tracker
  • Desert Viper
  • RoC Elite Viper
  • Arctic HISS Driver
  • Resolute Trooper
  • Retaliation Snake Eyes (I like the mask)
  • Retaliation Roadblock
  • Crimson Horseman (a better HISS Driver?)

Parts are the biggest problem, and there's no real easy way to use the modern heads on a vintage neck ball. But for some of the better characters/figures, it's a new source of customizing inspiration.
cyko
cyko
Admin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43512778@N07

Back to top Go down

cobra - Rise of Cobra/PoC/30th Character Updates Empty Re: Rise of Cobra/PoC/30th Character Updates

Post by kramer70 Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:11 am

I agree. A lot of the head sculpts are nice and could be usefully. This goes for other action figure lines as well. The issue is like you said, converting ME heads to neckball. Also I found that a lot of the newer heads are tiny and disproportional. Just another reason O rings are superior.
kramer70
kramer70

Back to top Go down

cobra - Rise of Cobra/PoC/30th Character Updates Empty Re: Rise of Cobra/PoC/30th Character Updates

Post by Rambo Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:39 am

As you have said, the problem with ME heads is they are too small. Adapting those to a neck-ball is not too difficult. We could ask NOVA to make and cast one if you like....
Rambo
Rambo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LIVEVIL Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Adapting ME heads to a neck-ball is a complete waste of time. I haven't found one head that can be made useful this way. They are just way too small. Although there are many cool and unique head sculpts, they are just useless for ARAH customizing. It's funny how many ARAH heads have been used for ME customizing...
LIVEVIL
LIVEVIL

http://www.joecustoms.com/userops/profile.php?uid=12

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:00 pm

You're right. I've noticed a helmeted head usually comes a little closer to the size of a typical O-ring sized head.

And the neckball adapter idea works in theory, but not every O-ring torso neck socket is the same depth, either. For example, I did an arctic TeleViper putting that head on an '87 Ice Viper body and it sits way too high (needed a lot of sanding). Same with a lot of Battle Corps era parts with earlier vintage ones.
cyko
cyko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LIVEVIL Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:08 pm

That's something you constantly have to deal with, and it can be exasperating at times. Most times I have to sand a neckball so it will sit properly or even replace it altogether with another one that will fit better. Other times I have to add epoxy putty to the neckball or in neck socket in the torso...
LIVEVIL
LIVEVIL

http://www.joecustoms.com/userops/profile.php?uid=12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Yeah, ARAH necks are not that "standard" as one would think.

I get mad when I see an O-ring being canabalized by modern era custom.
Rambo
Rambo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizgillar Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:38 am

I've toyed with doing some ME conversions to O-ring but as has been mentioned, those pea-sized heads make it rather difficult to come up with anything that isn't silly looking at best.  I've been tempted many times to get some heads from Angelforge but I'm afraid they will also bee too small for O-ring customs.  I have picked up some of their O-ring torsos, they are pretty sweet and some of the ME style heads look alright as far as scale is concerned.  ARAH heads are a little too big though for the torsos save for some of the VvV and JvC ones. The next problem though is finding arms that look right as well as waists and legs.  I would love to know what existing figure parts they had in mind when they made those custom torsos.

All that in mind, I tried using ARAH/O-ring parts to make customs that have some of the ME updates.  For example:

cobra - Rise of Cobra/PoC/30th Character Updates Ig510
Wizgillar
Wizgillar

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:38 am

Those are too cool! That's kinda what I was thinking: a modern figure/character that could use the O-ring treatment. Not all of them are worth it ("Ms." Dial Tone), but some are. It's just finding parts to substitute, and heads are often the most recognizable, and therefore difficult, to sub.
cyko
cyko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Nice custom Wiz. Could you share with us pictures of the Angelforge torsos next to ARAH ones?
Rambo
Rambo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizgillar Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:47 am

Rambo wrote:Nice custom Wiz. Could you share with us pictures of the Angelforge torsos next to ARAH ones?

Thanks and sure thing!  I just got home from work and took some quick pics so forgive any bad photography please.

This first picture is of two of the torsos I picked up.  Both are female; one looks like it could be used for Lady Jaye.  They actually tossed in a bonus item in the form of an ME Lady Jaye head that actually looks damn good as far as scale is concerned.  The other torso in this first pic is a Zarana type.  The detail is great but it is damn small in scale; more along the lines of Bombstrike or Gi Jane (I have both but didn't get a pic yet for size comparison.  The detail is amazing overall for both.  The LJ torso is perfect scale for an alternate look for LJ.  The Zarana torso is hard to find legs for that will match.  Otherwise, love them both.

cobra - Rise of Cobra/PoC/30th Character Updates Torso10

The next picture is a Baroness type torso.  As you can see, it is close on scale but the neck is rather small.  Details again are great but it was hard to find arms that fit well.  Baroness arms are a bit long looking with this torso and the shoulders don't match up well.  I ended up using a VvV Zarana pair of arms which seemed to look alright.  The custom waist piece in this pic was actually included with the Zarana torso in the first image.

cobra - Rise of Cobra/PoC/30th Character Updates Torso210

All in all, I really like these torsos but I just wish I knew what other parts they may have had in mind when they were sculpting.  These torsos would probably work well with the smaller heads of the ME figures.  The problem I have found however is that some heads with longer hair (I picked up some custom casted ones one ebay, all female from various figure lines) don't fit well with these torsos because the sculpted hair doesn't match up well.  It may take some trimming.  From the looks of things on Angelforge's site though, there are numerous shorthaired heads that may fit well.

I want to pick up some more of the torsos to try out.  I have found too that some larger sized o-rings may be needed because I'm afraid of warping or breaking the resin in the torsos because the post that the ring goes around is a little too soft for the standard o-rings.  I see great potential though with these torsos when it comes to maybe using ME heads.
Wizgillar
Wizgillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Perceptor Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Wizgillar wrote:All that in mind, I tried using ARAH/O-ring parts to make customs that have some of the ME updates.  For example:

cobra - Rise of Cobra/PoC/30th Character Updates Ig510

i freakin' love the IG custom... have a similar project in the works after recently procuring the armor pieces. i'll try to use as much modern gear as possible for some of my customs, even if it's just some extra pouches... body parts are another matter. might try and update hands and feet with modern parts one day, would have to feel really ambitious that day, haha.

one idea i've been toying with (that's barely related to the OP) is recreating modern figures using the same parts choices as Hasbro. for example, recreate the Club Annihilators using their recipe:

Head: Lamprey
Torso: Strato-Viper
Arms: Snow Job
Waist: Strato-Viper
Upper Legs: Snake Eyes v2 or 3
Lower Legs: Strato-Viper

http://www.yojoe.com/action/12/annihilators2.shtml
cobra - Rise of Cobra/PoC/30th Character Updates 34013
Dark Perceptor
Dark Perceptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:06 pm

Interesting idea...
Rambo
Rambo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:00 am

What I like most about the Annihilator recipe is the Lamprey helmet. The original is iconic but just too small & flat to hold a human head!
cyko
cyko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wowboy Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:39 pm

LIVEVIL wrote:That's something you constantly have to deal with, and it can be exasperating at times. Most times I have to sand a neckball so it will sit properly or even replace it altogether with another one that will fit better. Other times I have to add epoxy putty to the neckball or in neck socket in the torso...

I know I'm late to the game on this, but I used to overcome this by just sanding the neckball so that it was just a hair loose in the torso and then stick a bit of yellow sticky tack in the cavity. I found that this gave an even nicer range of motion than a regular figure and prevented the joint from ever becoming loose.

Wowboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down